This week is National Infertility Awareness Week, and I felt
inspired to write about our experience. Not a lot of people know our full story
except for family and a few close friends. Jeff and I were married in 2004 and
just after our 1 year anniversary we decided to start a family. Little did we know the road it would take
us. By Feb 2006 we still never had a positive
pregnancy test, I decided to go see my doctor. He placed me on Clomid and if
you don’t know that is, it makes woman crazy (at least for me it did). He
started me on the lowest dose which was 50mg and went all the way up to 250mg.
I’m surprised Jeff and I stayed together while I was on it J Every month I had the
same symptoms as somebody who would be pregnant, but it never happened. Definitely
a rollercoaster each month, plus it made me gain a lot of weight that took years
to get off. By the summer of 2006 to
2007 we did 4 IUI’s which all failed. Our last hope was IVF which we were not ready
to do and decided to take some time off of any treatments and medication. In 2008 Jeff and I discussed adoption; we
prayed about it and felt really good that’s what we were supposed to do. We met
with a lawyer and gave him our profile plus some pictures of us to give out to
potential birth moms. In 2009 we also
went through LDS Family Services and were with them for 2 years before deciding
to take down our profile. We had a few
birth moms look over our profile, but nothing ever came from it. By this time, I was getting mad and frustrated;
I had almost lost all faith. I was jealous of woman who could get pregnant by
just saying “it’s time to have another baby.” I had a hard time going to church
especially on Mother’s Day. By April
2013 I decided to go see another doctor and get a full set of blood work done
again and ultra sounds to make sure everything was still ok. They confirmed to
me my worse fear, the only chance of us having a baby would be IVF. Who has
that kind of money lying around, so I searched for grants and financial
assistance. I got all the paperwork ready to send in but told Jeff I want him
to receive confirmation that this is what we are supposed to do. He went to the
temple while I was working came home and told me “this is not the right time.”
I was heartbroken, but I trusted him. November
2013 Jeff received a phone call that our birth mom has our profile plus some
others and to keep her in our prayers. The beginning of Dec. he told us it was
between us and another family and she would like to meet us. This is the
farthest we have ever gotten. The birth mom was due Dec. 28th with a
baby girl. We met with her, her mom and
the birth father. When we first talked
about adoption, I had my mind set that I didn’t want a full open adoption, I
was ok with pictures, letters, and maybe yearly visits. Two weeks before Jeff
got the call, I kept hearing this voice “you need to do an open adoption, you
need to do an open adoption.” I prayed about it and finally said “yes, this is
what I want.” Our birth mom asked us if we were ok with an open adoption, I
knew that was the reason why I kept hearing that voice. This was it, of course they had another
family to meet (which they never did). At the dinner she asked if it was ok to
come look at our house, we set up another meeting for a few days later, that
night they told us they will let us know that week. By Thursday night I was at
my Planning Commission meeting and text Jeff if he had heard anything. He text
back, “yes.” Of course I’m thinking she didn’t pick us, and texted him that. He
text me back, “she picked us.” I was almost in tears, but had to hold back
until I was done at my meeting. The next
day we were going to go over the adoption agreement but found out she went into
labor. We didn’t have anything for the
baby, and we didn’t tell anybody about the adoption. My sister knew because the
night we met with our birth mom I was supposed to watch her kids so she could
go to her husband’s work party so we had a make other arrangements and we told
our bishop. That Saturday we went to Target picked up a stroller and carseat,
couple of outfits and pajamas. She ended
up having the baby early in the morning on Sunday. In the state of Utah mom’s
have to wait 24 hours before they can relinquish their rights. As hard as it
was for us to wait, I can’t even imagine how hard it was for her. Monday Dec. 23rd, Jeff and I
became parents to a baby girl. Our birth mom named her and we absolutely love
the name and it fits her. Even though we have gone through ups and
downs, heartache after heartache, I wouldn’t change it for the world. The Lord
had his hand in this whole process, he helped me to realize how great an open
adoption can be, I’ve realized not everything turns out the way you want it to.
I’m so grateful to have this little girl in my life, I couldn’t imagine life
without her and I can’t remember what it was like with Jeff and I.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment