Feb 25, 2014

Emberlie

Close to the end of November our lawyer contacted Jeff and told him about a birth mom who reached out to him to place her baby. She was due on Dec. 28th with a baby girl. He gave her 7 profiles to go over and one of them was ours. The week of Dec. 9th she contacted our lawyer and said she would like to meet with two of the families us and one other one. Our lawyer Wes gave Maley (birth mom) Jeff's phone number to contact us and set up a meeting. Dec. 12th she called and wanted to meet the next night Friday the 13th! We met her, her boyfriend (birth father) and her mom at Applebees in Taylorsville. We were all nervous and didn't know how to start a conversation. Maley's mother was so nice and pretty much did all the talking. They asked what hobbies we liked to do, where we work, about our family, etc. We were there for about an hour and before we all left, they asked if they could come see our house and neighborhood. Maley contacted Jeff the next day and set up to come out Monday night. They came over for about 20 mins, looked at our house and checked out the backyard. Maley asked if we had any names picked out or if she can name the baby and her mom says of course she does, she is a girl. I said yes we do, but what do you want to name her. She told us Emberlie Jade. Just before they left,  Maley said I should have brought over the blanket and booties for you, but than a few mins later her mom said they will make a decision by the end of this week. Maley and her boyfriend were going to meet another family, but they never did. That Thursday Dec. 19th Wes called Jeff and told him she had PICKED US!!! I was at my Planning Commission meeting and text Jeff if he had heard anything. He text back, yes I have. I'm thinking she decided not to go with us or keep the baby. He sent a text back, SHE PICKED US. I was up on the stand and had to hold back the tears of pure happiness. Thank goodness our meeting wasn't very long and went home around 8:00. The next day we were going to get together and go over the open adoption agreement. That afternoon Wes received a phone call that Maley was getting induced due to placenta previa.  She went into the hospital at 8:00pm Friday night Dec. 20th and we all thought the baby would come within the next 12 hours. We were wrong, she delivered Emberlie at 4:03am Sunday Dec. 22, 2013. We didn't find out she had the baby until we were getting ready for church. My heart was beating so fast with excitement and anxiety. We had 24 hours from than to wait until she signed the papers. It was a lot longer than 24 hours since she had her so early in the morning. The only person in our family who knew this was even a possibility was my sister. The night we met with them at Applebees we were supposed to watch her kids. Since Jeff and I only had 1 day notice to meet them, I had to tell her the truth.
Dec. 23rd. at 11:00 am we met Wes, Becky (his wife), Maley's parents downstairs at the U or U hospital to talk about what is going on. Maley was still not sure she wanted to place Emberlie, but she knew she could not raise a baby at this time. Her parents are the sweetest people and the whole time thanked us for giving Emberlie a good home. We went upstairs to the maternity ward to go over the open adoption agreement since we weren't able to the Friday before. Wes asked her what she wanted and Maley said, "I just want her to be happy and I can't give her that." Tears were coming down from everyone in the room. After going over the adoption agreement was the hardest thing I have ever seen and that was Maley signing the relinquishment papers. I don't ever want to be in the room when that happens again, it was like having open heart surgery and being awake during it without any pain medication. I am so grateful for her courage and strength, because of that Jeff and I have the most beautiful baby girl. She has brought so much love and joy to us and our family. All the pain and heartache that we dealt with for so many years was relieved from us. Our Heavenly Father does answer prayers, but not when you expect them or want them. He was looking out for us.


We had to spend the night on Dec. 23rd and the hospital released us around 12:00pm Christmas Eve. I sent a text to my parents, Jeff's parents, Joey and Christy to come over because we have a Christmas present to give them. They came over around 4:00 pm, I was hiding in our bedroom and Jeff said, "We were at the hospital last night but it wasn't for us. We would like you to meet the newest member of our family." I walked out with her. Tears were coming down my face, my parents were bawling, and Jeff's mom was crying she couldn't get up. His dad was sick and couldn't make it, but Brad sent him a text with us and her. That night was so crazy. It was just the three of us, no nurses, nobody helping us. 
Christmas Day we went to Jeff's parents house for breakfast, of course we were one of the first ones there. We showed her off to the great grandparents, than I went upstairs to wait for everyone else to show up. About an hour later, Jeff's mom comes up opens the door and there is Holly and Jeremy. To see their face was priceless just like our parents. Holly started crying immediately and of course so did I. We go downstairs to eat and after breakfast is over Steve and Liz showed up. Jeff had Emberlie in his arms and told Steve Merry Christmas. He looks over than looks back, than looks over again and said, "What is that, what is that? Is that a doll?" "Nope it's not, she's ours." He came running over with tears. 
2013 was the BEST CHRISTMAS anybody could ask for. I know for years to come, Christmas will never be the same and I'm so grateful for that. 
She is such a blessing. 

At the end of six months her name will be Emberlie Faith Morton!!!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this blog post and loved your story..what an amazing thing that mom has done..and what an amazing way to surprise everyone!

    ReplyDelete