May 13, 2010

Be careful out in the sun

Back in August or September of 2009, I noticed this growth growing on my chin. I always kept telling myself I better get it checked out. Finally in April 2010, I went and seen a doctor; she did a biopsy on it and told me from what she can tell it looks like skin cancer. Well the biopsy came back and they said it was just a irregular growth and if it comes back in the next 3 months to call back. Within 2 weeks it came back. They did another biopsy and the doctor told me that if it ends up as squamous cell skin cancer she will call me herself. The dreaded phone call came 2 days later, and of course I was home by myself. May 11, 2010, I had the Moh's Surgery done. They have to take one layer of skin at a time and look under microscope to make sure they get it all. Thank goodness they only had to do that one layer, unlike my dad he had 10 layers taken out. That was a miracle for me, instead of having plastic surgery done; they cut about an inch on my chin and put in stitches.

I am still very young, but this can happen to anybody. They tell you things like this only happen at old age, they are WRONG. People be careful out in the sun, make sure you put on sunscreen even if there is a cloud cover. They told me that if I would have waited any longer, it could have gone through my system and caused more damage.

1 comment:

  1. Scary. I am so glad you were able to catch it in time. Your family has been through too much...

    ReplyDelete